Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Neapolitan

It's been quite a while, even for me, since I last posted.  Life has intervened and kept me busy these last few weeks.  Things are close to settling down around here, and I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy the beauty that is Fall!  I wanted to share the latest installment of my triangle adventure.  I'm not saying my final installment because I know other ideas are waiting in the wings.  I've had a great time designing this piece, so I had to share it.



This picture isn't the greatest.  It doesn't capture the true colors of the Delicas, but I really just don't have time to work with it.  I wanted to share it with you all now.   The title of this post explains the colors.  As I worked on the different triangles it reminded me of Neapolitan ice cream.  You know, chocolate, vanilla and strawberry!  Yum!  Anyway,  here it is!  I stitched triangles using Heather Collins wonderful pattern, and also a layered triangle from the book "More Seed Bead Stitching" by Beth Stone. I really love the idea of layering the triangles and I think the idea has a lot of potential for design, and color pairing.  The funky little triangle in the middle is my second variation on Heather's triangle bezel.  I stitched the base and then started to build up an open vessel-type shape with peyote which I increased on each end.  I zipped up the two sections and put a picot on each end. 



It's a little difficult to see the picot because I used the same color as the triangle next to it.  In the center I stitched a margarite crystal.  I really love this idea and I think it also has potential for variation.  A larger triangle perhaps, which would make it more of a vessel to contain other components.  As I said, this isn't the end of the adventure!  But, I love dimensional stitching whether it's beads, fabric, or knitting.  Which is why Beth Stone's layered triangle was so appealing.  I use layers a lot, even in decorating my home.  I layer plates and bowls in my hutch, and in seasonal displays I create throughout the house.  I use layering in fabric embellishing and in knitting the Bohemian scarves. Here's a close up of the layered triangle.



Again, I see lots of possibilities.  Larger base with additional layers, a bead or margarite in the center...lots of ideas!
To stitch the necklace together I experimented with layouts and when I found one I liked I took a picture of it.  I'm happy that I did that because as I picked up the different triangles to stitch them together I would lose exactly where I wanted to place the  next one.  So, I  had my picture to refer to.  I just zipped the pieces together where they touched each other and then attached a chain with jump rings. 

I'm really happy with this piece.  I used the rivoli setting from Heather's triangle pattern, and the triangular setting that my beading group worked on, so I have some bling in there, and I got to try out another idea that came from the triangle necklace pattern I got from Heather.  Cherry Wine, in my previous post, was the first variation I tried and now the vessel type triangle is the second.  I'm sure I'll find something else to do with triangles!  I just love them.

Well, I've got to run so I can get some others things done today.  I promise I won't take so long to post this time.  In fact, there is something right around the corner.  Stay tuned for this over the weekend.




I hope you have a wonderful day.  Enjoy the loveliness that is Fall and find inspiration in it to create something fun!  Thanks for stopping by!




1 comment:

  1. Wow, the triangle piece is spectacular! The way you used different styles and colors is so unique. I love it! Your square tile is coming out great too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Let me know you've been visiting.