Saturday, November 21, 2015

ATTS:8 What's Your Bag!

Hello, everyone!  It's hard to believe that it's almost Thanksgiving here in the US.  I often find that Fall seems to more quickly than any other season.  When my kids were young and still in grade school and high school I thought that was the reason.  But, now they're adults and out of the house and I still find that this beautiful season just whizzes by.  I try to enjoy it as much as I can.  This year it's been difficult to really find time for much of anything.  A variety of family things have kept us hopping.  But, now it's time for Therese and Christine's blog challenge A Time To Stitch.  This is the 8th challenge, which is also hard to believe!  The theme this time was What's Your Bag.  We were supposed to bead embroider on a purse, amulet, evening bag, or some other bag of our choice.  I cheated a little.  I had made an evening bag with a bead embroidered flap at the request of my friend, Christen Brown.  She was writing a book on different types of embroidery and asked if I would do a bead embroidered bag of some sort.  So, I made a little clutch bag out of pintucked silk fabric and I embroidered the flap.  Here is what it looks like.










I made the pattern for the shape of the flap and then traced it on Lacy's Stiff Stuff.  I traced a rough outline of spaces I wanted to fill and started stitching.  I never have a firm idea of what a design is going to look like.  I wanted this to hint at an abstract garden surrounded by rocks and stones.  The colors were chosen to coordinate with the fabric.  Here are some details.





























So, there it is.  I had fun making it.  I love doing bead embroidery.  I love making it textured and using different shaped beads. 


I want to thank Therese and Christine for hosting this challenge.  It's really fun to participate and I can't wait to find out what they decide to do next time. 


Thank you all for visiting with me.  I really appreciate you stopping by.   

25 comments:

  1. Hi Maryanne,
    Gorgeous bag! I never think to do bead embroidery this way filling in all the spaces with rows of back stitched beads and hidden treasures so that each time one looks they discover something they did not see the first time. Oh and I agree Fall goes by way to quick and then there is the dreaded winter months that seem to never end. Thank you for joining in on another one of the ATTS challenges. I hope that you will join us again in the next ATTS challenge.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ~ that is some spectacular bead embroidery! Before I read your post all the way through, it reminded me of a garden in Fall...when all the plants turn muted shades of brown and still look pretty anyway and you want to wait just another day or month before cutting them down or pulling them. Those are some gorgeous places your mind and those beads take you when you embroider, Maryanne! I tend to zone in on a few small details and in yours, I LOVE the detail of those bronze clusters in the bottom photo and how you gave them texture and depth by not laying them down. Thanks so much for being a part of this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryanne, I don't think you have cheated at all. This is a stunning piece, it's as you've called it, an abstract garden surrounded by stones. It's a work-of-art. Fabulous!
    Happy beading.
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is some beautiful bead work! love the flow of the garden you've done here ... it does have such movement through the piece! no doubt your friend will love this example of bead work for her book! will this be featured in it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you included all the detailed photos. Enjoyed exploring all the lovely contrast and depth in your work. And then to crown it off with that metallic button against the radiant background. Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how fancy this is! The silk looks so chocolatey and your embroidery is stunning. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maryanne, your beadwork is exquisite. You did a fabulous job. I too love bead embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How perfect you had this bag up your sleeve for this challenge. As usual I am IN AWE of your talent!! This bag is sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous little bag, I love everything about it. I too love bead embroidery and the freedom of creativity the beads inspire. Great work Maryanne!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! The bead embroidery is awesome , and I love the muted color palette you have chosen .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, wow - it looks like a Zen garden, great effect! even the colours are perfect for a Zen garden :) Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would not call your gorgeous bead embroidery cheating at all. What a beautiful piece and the colors just meld together perfectly. Thanks too for the close-ups of the different bead types. I especially love the focal cab over to the right. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great variety in beads and design. I have a vintage clutch I am saving to bead... may be sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maryanne, this is awesome! I love that you made the purse from scratch, and the bead embroidery is spectacular. The colors are fantastic, and the varied textures are great. I don't think you cheated at all -- this is exactly what I had wanted to do for the challenge. I didn't quite get there, but you did. You lived my beady dream!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really gorgeous! Love that button and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a beautiful garden growing there! I really like your idea of establishing spaces and then filling them with embroidery...I'm going to have to give that a try. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness...this is fabulous! When I was reading your description of how you establish spaces to fill in with embroidery, it reminded me of drawing...and coloring within the boundaries of those lines. This is truly beautiful....everything you make is always outstanding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely bag, I also enjoy bead embroidery. The garden theme is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful purse! I see the stone garden you mention. I like that it's so neutral and can go with a variety of outfits. It looks like it would take ages to make! You have so much patience.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! The textures, the shapes, the colors, the button -- all in harmony singing a sweet song. Great purse, really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is gorgeous! I don't think I had seen the whole thing finished yet. It's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an exquisite bag - your beading is so beautiful and intricate and I love the warm earthy colours - definitely my favourite colour palette! I bet you get loads of compliments when you wear it out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an exquisite bag - your beading is so beautiful and intricate and I love the warm earthy colours - definitely my favourite colour palette! I bet you get loads of compliments when you wear it out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sering mengalami kekalahan dalam permainan Sakong Online, segera pergunakan Aplikasi Bobol Sakong Online.

    Live Chat Judi BandarQ Online itu99
    Agen Judi Roulette ituGol
    Tips Bermain Blackjack ituGol
    Trik Akurat Slot Games IndoWinBola
    Live Chat Agen Domino IndoWinBola

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Let me know you've been visiting.