Sunday, October 30, 2011

Components, and what you can do with them

My last post was all about the project the Beading Babes worked on for their first challenge.  If you recall, Karyn, of the blog, Releases by Rufydoof, had the idea to get a group of beaders together to create designs from some of the beading magazines.  It's a great idea because working from the magazines makes finding instructions and supplies easy.  Karyn chooses three designs and we all decide which we would like to make.  The one with the most support is the design we work on. 

Our first project was a bracelet, Camelot Cross by Carol Ohls. 




Carol gave you different options for a closure and I chose the button made from the same crystals used in the bracelet.  You can see it in the photo above, but here is a closer view of it.



I loved the button and it was quick to make.  I knew I would use it again in other designs.  I just didn't know I would find a use for it so soon!  Turns out we had a dinner to attend last weekend and the bracelet went perfectly with the outfit I decided to wear.  Proof that colors you like tend to be found throughout your wardrobe and home.  Anyway, I decided I didn't have any earrings I wanted to wear.  Which is very amusing when you consider all the earrings I have!! Then I realized the button on the bracelet was perfect for earrings!  I had enough crystals left to make a pair of earrings.  All I did to make the component into earrings was to not stitch the bail that's on the back of the button.  In place of the bail I made them double sided by stitching the gold seed beads on both sides.  Then I came up through the top bead of one of the picots and added a crystal and seed bead.  I put a jump ring through the seed bead and attached an earwire.  Because I like the look of  a chain hanging from the back of the main component of an earring  (a design feature I've seen in earrings at my favorite store, Anthropologie!) I decided to hang a chain from the earwire with a crystal at the end of it.  Here's a picture of the earrings.



I loved the way these turned out.  They were quick to make and gave me an opportunity to use a component I really liked in a new design.  I was delighted to see that the new Bead and Button magazine has an article on using components from one piece of beadwork in another design.  I've done it before and I'm always pleased with the results.  Try it sometime.  It's a great way to come up with a unique piece of beadwork.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a wonderful and creative Sunday.  I know some of you in the East are getting the first snow of the season today!  We had big, wet snow flakes flying yesterday.  Makes for a different, and a cold, Halloween!  Snow, not frost, on the pumpkins!  Enjoy this fun holiday.  Happy Haunting!!  



3 comments:

  1. Maryanne, The earrings are very pretty and the perfect compliment to the bracelet.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I love the earrings.. what a great idea and a perfect match for your gorgeous bracelet. Nice!

    Karyn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Let me know you've been visiting.