Friday, March 4, 2016

Layering Sunflowers

Hi all, welcome to the blog today.  It's been a long time but I think that will be the way it is for the time being.  Inspiration isn't coming consistently these days!   I've had some sunflower things sitting on my work table for  several months and I really wanted to do something with them.  Linda, from The Funkie Junkie Boutique, always places wonderful little gifts in orders (thanks, Linda).  In one order back in late August or early September she gifted me with sunflowers!  I love sunflowers and always have them in the house late in the summer.  They are so cheerful and bright and make me smile when I see them.  So, I knew right away that I wanted to use some of the things in the package for a sunflower tag.  But, everything sat on my table and life and the holidays intervened and no tag materialized!  Now it's almost spring here and I'm thinking about our garden and the different flowers and vegetables we're going to plant this year.  I've seen a few new sunflower varieties that I want to try and that sent me to my table to make my tag!  Over at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge blog the theme this time is Layer It Up so I thought I would do just that with my tag and all the sunflower things I had sitting there.

Here is what I came up with.



 
 
 
 
I used a size 8 tag and I sprayed it with Fossilized Amber Distress Spray.  I used a flower stencil and sprayed again with Pirates' Plunder Gold Moon Shadow Mist from Lindy's Stamp Gang.  When all that was dry I sprayed Sunflower Sparkle Perfect Pearls Spray lightly over the entire tag.  Using Fossilized Amber Distress Ink I stamped a sunflower stamp randomly over the background.  It's very subtle and doesn't show in the photos but it adds some dimension to the background.   From my stash I took a sunflower cocktail napkin and used gel medium to adhere that to the bottom left of the tag.  Tim Holtz Thinlets dies are fun to use and I decided to use the diamonds to cut out part of the tag.  For a backing I used one of the papers from my favorite Graphic45 designs, French Country.  I attached the tag to the piece of paper and then cut it to size.  As part of Linda's gift was the botanical print of the sunflower.  I glued it to a piece of chip board and edged it with Vintage Photo Distress Glitter.  I attached it, and a definition of "sunflower" that I tore out of an old dictionary, to the tag along with a banner sticker and the Le Jardin sticker from the Graphic45 paper set.   The brown dot stickers filled in the space above the botanical print.   The button and sunflower charm were part of the gift.  I decided to add some definition to the diamond cut outs by outlining the inside of each one with a Pitt Pen in Sepia.  I also outlined the strip of dictionary paper and the Le Jardin sticker with the pen. 
 
 
Here are some details.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I'm going to enter this in the Frilly and Funkie challenge since I really "layered up" the background, the embellishments and the back of the die cut area!  
 
 
I want to thank everyone for stopping by today.  I appreciate it especially since I haven't been around very much at all lately.  I hope you have a wonderful day and that Spring isn't too long in coming for all of you!



18 comments:

  1. This is lovely! and those layers are amazing .... love the cut outs and all those sunflowers. They are such happy flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tag, the sunflowers look gorgeous ! Glad you found time to join us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you go again, with those words I love almost as much as your beautiful, bright tags ~ "Gold Moon Shadow Mist"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tag, love the die cut diamonds, gives a lovely additional layer. Thanks for joining us at Frilly & Funkie for the Layer it up challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maryanne! It's been awhile since I blogged, too! Life is just so busy sometimes!!! I have missed visiting your wonderful blog and LOVE your sunflower tag so much! Sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers! They are so happy!!! Your layering on your tag is amazing! I love everything that you did here, like the beautiful cut diamonds! Speaking of spring, our weather here in PA has been FABULOUS for the past couple of days - it actually felt a little like summer yesterday and almost got to 80 degrees!!!! I have missed you, my friend - feels good to visit your blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I popped by and saw this stunning tag - the embellishments are gorgeous - how lucky getting such lovely little gifts, and I love the background you created for them. It's so nice to see you back in blogland doing some beautiful art but I do understand how sometimes other things just need you more! Have fun in your garden now that Spring is here (almost!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Let me know you've been visiting.