Saturday, December 7, 2013

Victorian Christmas Banner

Hi everyone!  I'm so happy to have you visiting today!  It's a busy time around here with the elves working overtime getting ready for Christmas!  I love decorating the house for all holidays, but Christmas especially!  So, I've been busy with greens and ornaments and all kinds of things that say Christmas!  I've also been trying to continue adding to the many decorations with my own projects.   So, when Patti, my friend who owns The Queen's Ink, decided to have a banner challenge I had to join in.  You may remember that back in October she had a pumpkin decorating challenge.  You can see my entry here.  Well, here is my banner.



The rules were only that it could be no larger then 8 1/2 x 11 inches.  I decided to make mine small and went with 6x6 inches.  I cut a piece of chip board and covered it with a piece of musical background paper which I stenciled with TH new Harlequin stencil using gold ink. I edged the entire square with Antique Linen Distress Glitter.  I then cut a piece of burgundy background paper with a Spellbinders die and edged it with  Antique Linen glitter.  Can you tell that  I love that color glitter and that I just I love all the Distress glitter.  I keep using it more and more.  I then cut an image from a sheet of Kaiser Craft Christmas images and edged it with Fire Brick glitter.  I glued it down to the burgundy label and applied the whole thing to the background with foam adhesive so it was more dimensional. 

Along the bottom I created a garland full of holiday goodness.  I wanted it to look like the Victorian garlands you see in vintage images, full and dripping with all the symbols of the season.  I started with some wired winter berries that have been in the stash for a while and wove in some light green tinsel.  That formed the base and I added a miniature gold Christmas ornament to the middle so it would hang free below the banner.  From there I raided my stash and glued in gold stars, some of those wonderful vintage candy canes, some die cut holly leaves, a few small jingle bells, some dimensional sparkle dots and even a little fabric reindeer from a trim I have.  Here are some details.


 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
So, that's my banner.  Patti's plan is to link the banners together and decorate the shop with them.  I can't wait to see what everyone created.  I know my daughter made a gorgeous banner in her favorite medieval style. 
 
 
Thank you all for taking the time to visit with me today.  I know what a busy season it is and I appreciate your visit and all your lovely comments.  I hope you are enjoying your preparations for this wonderful time of year.  


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Maryanne, I love the Victorian style Christmas banner you created. The old St. Nicks have always been my favorite.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Let me know you've been visiting.