Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Summer of Color3: Week 5

I can't believe we're at week 5 of the Summer of Color3 challenge!  I know I said that about week 4, but seriously, we only have one more week.  This has been so much fun for me!  This week was a real challenge because the color combination was candy apple red and yellow.  So bright and cheery, but not colors I use a lot!  The first thing that came to my mind was the kitchens from the '30s and '40s.  Those were hard times and those bright colors were a good antidote to the dreariness of life back then.   I had planned to make a summery necklace using beads in those colors and some vintage fruit beads I have in my stash, but I realized I could never have finished the necklace I had in mind  in time.  So, that will be for when I have more than a week to finish it.  What I did make was a small shadow box with Graphic 45's beautiful collection called French Country.  I've wanted to do some late summer projects with these papers and this was my chance to get a head start.

Here's the box.

 
I covered the back with FC papers and the sides with a yellow polka dot from Authentique.  Then I used some of the individual cut aparts from the collection and glued them to the back.  I used dimensional sunflower stickers and silk sunflowers to finish the inside.  I love pennant banners, so I used some other motifs to make a banner across the front.
 
 
 
 
 
The outside and back of the box were painted with Tim Holtz' Distress Paint in Mustard Seed.  I then used some embossing paste and a stencil to give it some dimension.  I inked over the paste and the paint with Distress ink.  It actually is more red than it appears in the picture.
 
 
 
 
On the back I recorded my details.  You can see more of the embossing paste on the side. 
 
Well, that's my project for this week.  I'm pleased with how it turned out and now I can enjoy beading my summer necklace in candy apple red and yellow!
 
Thank you all for visiting.  I appreciate you stopping by and I welcome all you who are new to my blog.  I hope you all have a wonderful day!




16 comments:

  1. Cool! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun this is, love the colors and sunflowers and pennant! Now to me this would have taken me days and the beading would take a day, you are a fast worker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just amazing! I love your theory...how the red and yellow reminded you of old style kitchens. That immediatlely reminded me of a red stool, metal, that we had in our kitchen when I was growing up. It had an extender step on the bottom. I loved that stool! It was so practical, and lasted for YEARS as both a step stool and a chair!

    I would have a hard time designing jewelry in red and yellow as well, but your idea sounds wonderful!

    Love that box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shadow box Maryanne! Your talents are never ending, truly awesome!
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful art, beautiful, thoughtful and emotive! Love love love! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderfully crafted shadowbox, Maryanne! I love Graphic 45 and you have used all of the products so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your box is stunning - I love your use of the colours and all your ephemera - just gorgeous. Considering you found the colours a little difficult you have done a brilliant job with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your French country project is fantastique!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Broken record alert: I LOVE what you do with paper!!! This shadow box is so pretty and it's perfect for the red/yellow combination you had to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Your shadow box is STUNNING and so full of wonderful details! You used this week's colors beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! A fabulous contribution. I love what you did with the colours. One of the things I love about this challenge is seeing how we all interpret the same colours so differently. It is such a joy to see and very inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely Stunning. I love the French Country papers too Maryanne. Thank you so much for the lovely comments left on my blog. Hugs from Scotland. Rita xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is stunning Maryanne and so beautifully colourful....a beautiful make indeed. Thanks for visiting my blog and for leaving such a kind comment regarding my frame/shadow box. It was really appreciated.

    Crafty hugs

    Annie, your newest follower
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW, this is totally gorgeous!!. LOVE LOVE your sunflower field shadow box!!. Wonderful detail & dimensions :).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Let me know you've been visiting.