Thursday, April 29, 2010

Bohemian Scarves~ part 2.

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to finish my post about the Bohemian Scarves.  Spring time means lots of time gardening and enjoying the beautiful weather.  But, here I am ready to share with you the last three of the scarves. 

This one was fun to do for a variety of reasons.  First of all I knitted in godets using short rows, and that was fun.  I didn't know how it would work out but I think it looks pretty good.  The godets are in this picture puctuated by the ribbon flowers.  When I embellished the scarf, after finishing the knitting, I pleated the godets on the back and stitched the ribbon flowers to the front.  I also knitted one section so that it had a notch which I filled with  the embroidered applique.  You can see it at the neck.  I was intending to add a strip of ribbon to that area but the applique looked better!



This is a beaded yarn over stitch I developed while playing around with beaded lace stitches.  The square bead mix blended perfectly with the yarn colors.  By the way, the yarn I used for this section is one of my favorite luxury yarns.  It's Alchemy's Silken Straw.  The colors are wonderful and the fabric it creates is very drapey and luxurious.


This scarf used Maggie Jackson's linen yarn once again.  That yarn makes up into a wonderful fabric and it has a rustic appeal that I really like.  Up at the neck, in the center, is another color of Silken Straw.  Love that yarn!  I had fun with some of the embellishments on this scarf.  In a home decorating book I had seen fabric covered wooden beads used as tassels on the corners of a pillow.   I really liked the idea and filed it away to use someday.  I decided to use them at certain points on this scarf. 


Here's a close up of the tassel.  I used a batik fabric and some beads that I had used in one of the sections of the scarf.  Those little dangles are so cute and really added some fun to the scarf.

The last of the scarves really isn't a scarf.  It sort of grew into a wrap.  I had accumulated several yarns in a turquoise/lime green mix, along with a lot of turquoise and lime green solids and tonal yarns.  Since that's one of my favorite color combinations I guess it's not surprising that I would have a lot of yarns in those colors.  Well, I decided to put them together in one scarf.  But, as I said, I got a little carried away and it became a wrap.


This is the back of it.  I had some dichroic glass buttons that I had gotten at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival and they were the perfect color to use with the yarns.  I decided to make the wrap in two pieces and sew the buttons on to attach the sections.  I really liked the way it worked out.  The beautiful turquoise ribbon that is threaded through the eyelets to the left of the buttons is Hanah silk ribbon.  I adore those ribbons for so many reasons!  The colors are to die for (or "dye" for!) and the drape is fabulous.  Anyway, I had this piece which just happened to be a perfect turquoise.

I hope you've enjoyed my minor obsession!  Ideas are always coming for more Bohemian Scarves.  I love making them because there are so many yarn combinations to try and  I can use  so many different embellishments on them.  So, there will be more coming.  I've actually got one in the very beginning stages right now.  We'll see where it takes me.

Thank you for stopping by to read my blog.  Have a wonderfully creative day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Let me know you've been visiting.